For a few weeks now I have been itching for a change. My oldest is in Pre-K and will be starting kindergarten next fall. I’ve said for years that I want to ‘quit working’ when she starts school. I have achieved and lost (due to relocating offices and downsizing at work) the goals I had set for myself when I began my current job. Due to the state of the economy there is no room for growth at my office now or anytime in the immediate future. In fact, it just gets more stressful and depressing as time goes on. I want a change.
I’ve been thinking and talking about career change with those around me but I have yet to see any real opportunities. I’ve been brainstorming what I want and can’t seem to find anything that remotely matches what I’m looking for.
This morning I checked out the blogs that I regularly monitor and realized that two of them have posted ‘this is the end’ messages. A third, has pretty much already taken that form those she does update on occasion (about 3-4 a year). The fourth has recently been undergoing changes but her post today seemed to fit the the goodbye messages of the other two…change, focus on family, less is more. It seems to me that they were also sending a message to me. It is time for a change.
I’m not sure how I am going to accomplish my changes but I do know that it is time for a change, a drastic change.
Here is what I know that I do want:
- an organized house (I need the time to accomplish this)
- a flexible job that would allow me to spend more time with the kids especially once school gets out (afternoons, school holidays, etc)
- I would love to run my own business which would give me the flexibility that I want but my interests and skills do not lie in high demand fields
- I want to go back to school and get my master’s degree even if it is only one class at a time
- one day when the kids are older, I would love to have the ability to travel but that is a more long-term goal
Its time for me to move on but I’m not sure what I need to do to make those first steps and I’m definetly not sure which direction I am supposed to go so that I can achieve my goals.
I guess my first step should be obvious. Its time to focus on prayer and ask God to direct my steps.
So here is to figuring out what is the first step to change…